Tuesday 10 April 2012

Night Trek 880m Peak

It was a last minute decision of mine to join the trek and I was given to understand that I was also the last to register. Luckily for me, I got selected! 
Trekking initially captures one’s interest and kindles their curiosity and excitement alike. It is mostly a get away from something back home (to me it initially was)! But subsequently it turns out to become an obsession, albeit, a healthy one. I am no exception to this observation of mine. The intensity of the obsession is such that unless exhaustion takes over, I lie awake at night, reliving my past experiences and craving for the next one!
It was my 5th trek with CTC in the last 8 months. ‘Trekking’, to me has become synonymous with CTC!
Twenty four nocturnal souls set out at 5.30 p.m on Saturday evening with Brijesh as the leader of the pack, heading to an undisclosed location for a night trek! The enchantment in the whole thing was the fact that we were uninformed about the plan – neither the place nor the trail. Brijesh was adept at keeping both these away from the team, adding to much of the curiosity and anticipation of every member.I could guess which place we were headed to especially with the route, it was Nagalapuram. However clarity on whether Eastern or Western entry came much later, just within half hour of reaching the place.  
We reached at 10.30 p.m. and started our trek at 11.10 p.m. It was a clear night sky lit up by the silver of the moonlight and studded with stars aplenty. We reached the first source of water within the first hour and proceeded further on a different trail (one that I hadn’t been on during my earlier treks to Nagala west). The trail was mostly an upward climb for over two hours. Initially people were loud and totally engrossed in conversation with each other. As the climb got steeper, I noticed that the chattering had reduced to a deafening silence. I was out of breath within the first twenty minutes and was appalled to dwell on what that meant – not being in shape. It is demoralizing to be faced with the reality of our stamina levels. It was only when I noticed everyone around me (including a few experienced souls) panting for breath that I felt much lighter again. I found out the reason for the constant thirst and frequent 5-minute breaks - the steepness of the climb that lasted for over two hours. We hit a relatively flat surface by 2.00 a.m. Until we reached the plateau, Brijesh effectively left us clueless on what lay ahead! His standard response was ‘we are just few minutes away’ that blatantly gave away his pretence after the first 30 minutes. However, it was at the plateau that Brijesh attempted to give us a picture, though a hazy one, of what lay ahead (only for the next few hours, till around 6.00 a.m.). The trail ended at the plateau (at an altitude of 600m) that had a small stream, which was the only source of water for the next few hours and Brijesh gave his team a choice – to either camp at this spot or follow him to the 880 m peak. Nine of them who were desperate to catch up with beauty sleep chose to stay back while the remaining 15 of us (including me) marched ahead!
The plateau seemed miraculous – small shrubs, tall grass, small boulders and quite a few thorny bushes that were all randomly scattered across the plateau. Such a flat surface at 600m altitude was mind blowing! Everything was green – different shades of it, from the lightest to the darkest. No computer can ever try reproducing the myriad shades that came up amidst the landscape. We also spotted deserted huts on the way, which was probably where the villagers took shelter from rain/sun during their firewood gathering sessions. 
The coolness of the dew drops on the grass below were reaching out to soothe our sweat drenched, tired bodies. We kept trekking ahead despite the body aches, scratches and few bloody encounters with the thorny bushes. At around 4.30 AM we were around 100m from our destination – the 880m peak. At this point Shrija had cramps in her calf muscles and said she could not move any further. Yashwant and Guru decided to give her company while the others continued the march forward. By now, we had ceased to believe our gang lead on timelines and proximity to destination. In order to salvage his credibility, Brijesh showed me the altitude reading on the GPS at regular intervals so that I could actually be in touch with reality. I will not say that the climb was difficult; rather, it was annoying with the tall grass and loose boulders that did not help much with footing or grip. As we were approaching the peak, we could see its silhouette from afar. At 4.00 a.m. with just the moonlight aiding visibility it was a pretty eerie sight. The peak seemed to be an inaccessible dark land, darkness due to shadows cast by the multitude of plants/shrubs/trees at every visible spot. However, later I was pleasantly surprised to note that this “eerie” piece of land turned out to be the greenest and most beautiful spot I’ve ever set foot on!
We had continuously trekked from 11.10 p.m. with just a few minutes of break on and off. I was beginning to reach the tethers of my stamina level and my body was about to give up on me. I was just holding on by sheer mind power. Just as I was coaxing myself to focus on the destination without thoughts on timeframe, I heard a shout of joy from co-trekkers and also heard Brijesh’s voice echoing through the wilderness of the mountain. I was ecstatic to notice that we had at last reached the peak. Without further ado I almost doubled up my climbing efforts in an attempt to share the excitement of having reached the 880m peak!  
I just grabbed the nearest rock for support. The astounding sight that welcomed me made my knees weak and I sat on the rock. I was staring at the early morning sky - its glory was beyond comprehension. Nature, in all its mystery, brilliance and grandeur always manages to dumbfound me. I sat there dumbfounded and completely at a loss for words. Suddenly everything about the world seemed right! I thought that as long as I could be the recipient of such magnificence, everything should, but be alright! 
I’m sure all my co-trekkers had their own moments too! Nature is so powerful that despite giving itself to everyone, it only ever seems to gather might. It makes each individual feel important. It gives healing to everyone alike. I think ‘nature’ and ‘spirituality’ are linked in this sense!
Soon it was time to watch the sunrise. We were all sitting east-facing, huddled next to each other as the wind got chilly. The sky was light blue at first with a light orange halo around the place from which the sun was to emerge. The dawn sky turned pink, purple, darker blue, orange and finally yellow! The sun, looking like a small yellow circle started taking a peek into our side of the world and I could see life flow through every living being on this side of the planet. The shrubs got brighter, the butterflies got more active and the mist started clearing out. I was waiting for the chillness of the mist to be offset by the warmth of the sun. As that moment approached, I closed my eyes for a few minutes, savouring the feel of both these against my skin. It was truly an unforgettable moment for me!    
There was super demand for the spot I had taken which was set almost like a chair – a base for ones seat and a backrest, absolutely comfortable! Except that Brijesh amongst few other suddenly took a fancy to it. Due to lack of space with many of them vying for my seat and the craving to stretch my body, I shifted out and this gave Brijesh and Rajesh (sounds rhyming!) enough space to spread their tired limbs. Normally I am quite aware of the surface on which my body rests due to which I seldom get peaceful sleep while on a trek. But the 6 hours of continuous trek had achieved the inevitable. I was absolutely dead to the world for two hours (so was everyone around me!). I woke up to a millipede trying to crawl onto my ankle. It was truly a blessing that I wasn’t fully awake as I used a twig to redirect its movement away from me (otherwise all hell would have broken loose!). We woke up at 8.20 a.m. and then started our trek downhill by 9.00 a.m. What took us 4 hours during the night was completed in just over 2 hours and 30 minutes. We were at the base camp at 10.45 a.m. where we were greeted by the brightness & chirpiness of those left behind (after 6 hours of sleep, right beside a source of water).
We went down to reach the second pool at 12.30 p.m. This was the first time the entire team got to relax together and we had a whale of a time in the pool. As is trademark CTC activity, we gathered firewood to cook our delicious lunch – a mixture of noodles and pastas that tasted yummy! After food, we settled accounts and a group of 9 members (including me) left earlier to reach Chennai at 8.30 p.m. while the others stayed back and proceeded to pool 3 for further respite from the scorching sun. We heard they reached Chennai at around 11.00 p.m.
But for coaxing and prodding by Brijesh I am sure the climb (especially the one uphill past the base camp) would have been quite impossible, given the lack of proper trail and the long grass coupled with loose boulders coming in the way of good grip between our feet and the ground. His relationship with the mountains can be compared with that of a butterfly to a flower! He carried in his bag a never-ending source of water (bottle after bottle he released whenever we moaned for water especially after all our bottles got empty). Impeccable were his organization skills – no glitch in the whole plan, created and executed like the Lord Almighty himself - impressive!!! 
Credit should also be given to the entire group where team spirit was amazingly evident. The sharing, caring and giving came naturally to everyone.  The much required recharge to the spirits and soul was reflecting off every face.
The experience was a memorable one indeed, a home away from home as each of us came alive amongst the wilderness!!!



3 comments:

  1. Another great one...i have been to Nagala by the day but never at night. would love to try it once.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Night treks are challenging as you have to trek with an LED torch in one hand that leaves you with only one hand to do the balancing act at tough spots! A must do :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. well a trial is not gone kill me is it? :)

    ReplyDelete